Now, you can host these highly energetic critters in your backyard with their very own squirrel feeder. Squirrels are fascinating little creatures that will do just about anything to get their hands on a feeder. The backyard squirrel is a hard little rascal to beat with its daring shenanigans and remarkable feats of agility. Their persistence really shows through with their instinctive ability to find food, even in dire situations! If you want a front-row seat for endless squirrel hijinks, read below, and I will let you in on my tips on choosing the best squirrel feeders for the backyard.
Best Squirrel Feeders For The Backyard (Updated List)
Why You Should Get Squirrel Feeders For The Backyard
Do you squirrels love to eat your birdseed but know the birds don’t enjoy sharing?
Well, a squirrel feeder is a simple way to keep squirrels out of your bird feeders.
By using a squirrel feeder, you can put an end to confrontations between hungry squirrels and angry birds in your backyard. This will allow both squirrels and birds to live in harmony.
The best part of having a squirrel feeder is the hours of entertainment from watching the bushy-tailed critters scamper around collecting their treats.
What to Look for When Buying Squirrel Feeders
Everyone has different preferences on what is important or not when deciding on a squirrel feeder. Still, I want to offer my opinion on the most important things that a squirrel feeder should have.
Look for Enough Space
Consider the number of squirrels that visit you and then decide how big your feeder needs to be. The picnic-style design will attract more furry friends while allowing them easier access to food.
Look for Design
If you want to feed squirrels, the design of your feeder depends on where it will be located and what kinds of food (i.e., corn or nuts) you would like to give them. Corn cobs are better for open-design feeds while nuts work best with enclosed designs; both types can also provide a nice snack for squirrels!
Look for Food Storage
To have squirrels keep coming back, you need feeders that can store a good amount of food.
Look For Durability
There are some really cute novelty squirrel feeders, but they don’t build most of those items to withstand hungry squirrels and weather like rain, snow, extreme temperatures, and humidity. You can expect squirrels to chew anything made of plastic. They will also chew wood as well but will last much longer with quality-treated wood. Like aluminum and stainless steel, the metal feeder lasts a long time because of rust-proofing and immune to sharp squirrel teeth.
Look for Placement
Choosing a squirrel feeder can be challenging, with so many available options. If you plan to place it outside, metal, like aluminum or stainless steel, is the best choice as it is more durable under extreme weather. Feeders made of cedar wood are best placed under shelter to protect them from harsh weather and the sun.
Squirrel Feeders Product Reviews
Here is my review of the best squirrel feeders.
1. GORILLA WOOD–Squirrel Feeder (Best Overall)
You don’t want to use the same old boring feeders that every other person has, but you also don’t want to spend a fortune on a new one either. Squirrels will flock to your yard with the Gorilla Wood durable feeder made from premium wood. Use various food options like, like corn on the cob, nuts, berries, and seed so your squirrels can munch away all year round.
Some nice added touches are the concerns for the squirrel’s well-being by eliminating any rough wood or sharp cornered edges to prevent injuries, drainage holes to prevent an unsanitary environment, and being one of the largest feeders on the market. The bonus feature is the raised lip all the way around the feeder to keep those snacks on the table with much less mess. The manufacturer took the time and cared to ensure your forest friends have a safe and spacious snacking spot.
You won’t have to buy another feeder anytime soon; Gorilla Wood products built to stand up to harsh weather. Are you ready to watch countless little squirrels gather around your feeder as they feast upon yummy treats? I know my family does!
- One of the largest, mega-size per the manufacturer, squirrel feeders on the market.
- Made from premium fir wood that can withstand extreme weather plus normal squirrel “wear & tear.”
- Table has rounded and smoothed edges to keep squirrels injury-free, many drainage holes to prevent bacteria buildup, and raised edge for less mess.
- Some feel the corn cob screws are too short.
- The white buckets come off after a short period
- Corn cob screws can be dangerous when not covered. They are removable when not in use.
2. SOLUTION4PATIO – Squirrel Feeder (Best Seller)
This white wooden decorative bench doubles as a squirrel and a bird feeder. Its unique design will add character to your yard while feeding the hungry squirrels, chipmunks, and birds sitting on the handrails.
The feeder, which can be mounted or hung, is made of natural, solid varnished wood manufactured with all-weather screws and aluminum rust-resistant hinges that make it durable. Some edges are rounded to give a polished look to the piece as well.
It’s effortless to fill, and clean-up is a cinch! The feeder’s bottom is a powder-coated mesh that ensures drainage and keeps seeds dryer and fresher than other non-mesh bottomed feeders. Clean-up is a cinch using water spray from a garden hose. To top it off, Solution4Patio offers a 3-year warranty.
- 3-Section feeder where you can offer a variety of treats.
- Has a sturdy mesh bottom to keep food dry, less mold buildup and superior drainage. Hose down with water for easy clean-up.
- Can be mounted or hung
- Will not hold up to racoons.
- Customer complaints about inferior packaging that caused damage to product during shipping.
- Not sturdy enough to place on the ground, the item is best mounted or hung.
3. ERVA – Squirrel Feeder (Most Durable)
This metal bird feeder is the perfect way to draw squirrels away from your birds.
Someone can easily mount it on a tree using the included backplate and screws. Or you could mount it on a feeder pole for easy maintenance. The best part is the 18 gauge steel is chew-resistant and will last much longer than products made of wood or plastic. That benefit alone is worth the price.
There may be a bit of a learning curve before the squirrels figure out how to lift the lid. But don’t worry; they will catch on, and there is an extended platform for them to sit on while figuring it out. The feeder’s color blends in with the great outdoors, so it won’t stand out if that is what you are searching for.
- Easy to mount and simple to fill with peanuts (holds 1.5 lbs of unshelled peanuts) or other treats.
- Very sturdy, durable, and chew-proof
- Has many drainage holes and has pre-drilled mounting holes.
- May take a couple of days before the squirrels catch on how to lift the lid.
- The metal lid, which is on the heavier side, bangs upon closing, but a quick fix is to place adhesive rubber sound dampeners.
- The rivets that hold the lid on come off, but most reviews say that occurred after several years.
4. KY-YPFW – Squirrel Feeder (Most Budget-Friendly)
Squirrels will love this tree-like feeder table that matches their natural habitat. It’s made of pinewood and has a clear, bright color, and is durable with a smooth texture for the squirrels to relax. It is possible to put more food in one place with less spilling. The raised feature allows your small furry friends enough time before they get back again after storing away all those yummy treats into their little bellies! The squirrel alone in this picture has me sold on this table.
There’s seating for two people at each end with benches and an elevated table-side that is just right for a squirrel’s height. The feeder, with its triangular shape, can hold more weight with added stability. You can attach corn or fruit to the anti-rust screw in the middle of the table. My biggest concern with the corn cob holder is the screw possibly causing a squirrel to get hurt. Squirrels are very territorial and will fight over food. Removing the screw is a big plus for me, knowing my squirrels won’t catch on that spike when not in use.
- Comes with two additional screws if you need a replacement because of loss.
- Raised edge to keep food on the table.
- Natural wood (no stain, varnish, or paint).
- Requires simple assembly and reviews stated the assembly screws should be longer.
- No drainage hole unless the corn cob screw is not in place.
- Pine wood is soft, so wood may split if someone places the screws too tightly.
5. PFNRTH – Squirrel Feeder (Best Novelty & Entertainment)
In no time at all, you will have Cirque du Squirrel in your backyard. The Bungee Feeder is perfect for those that want to feed the squirrels, distract them from your birdfeeder, and provide entertainment all at the same time.
The bungee cord squirrel feeder comes fully assembled and ready to hang. There is a bell attached to the bungee to let you know playtime is about to ensue. You can think of it as a “squirrel notification,” so you can sprint to the window to video the action for Instagram, Facebook, or TikTok. The bungee cord has two hooks to accommodate two ears of corn. You may also use apples, pear, or any other type of squirrel-friendly food you like. Check out the article, “What Do Squirrels Eat.”
- 30-day no questions asked return policy
- Offers great backyard enjoyment to watch the squirrels and their entertaining acrobatics.
- The bungee cord features a bell to alert you of upcoming action.
- A couple of mentions that squirrels have taken off with the corn cobs and broke a bungee cable.
- Took some time before the squirrels caught on how to access the corn
- Hooks are very sharp and, if not careful, can cause injury.
FAQ’s About Squirrel Feeders
Here are some commonly asked questions about Squirrel Feeders
Is it safe to Paint Squirrel Feeders?
An ideal feeder uses unpainted, stained, or varnished natural wood that is not treated. Always use water-based and non-toxic paint for use on squirrel feeders.
Is it Dangerous For Squirrels to Swing From the Bungee Cord?
The acrobatic creatures spin around and around while they hang from the bungee cord. It may look dangerous, but don’t be fooled! Squirrels are extremely agile and can jump for food even when their bodies are upside down in mid-air.
How Long Does It Take For The Squirrels To Figure Out How to Use the Feeder?
Squirrels are extremely smart, and food motivated. They will figure it out before you know it. They smell food from far away!
So that concludes my list of some of the best squirrel feeders on the market today. There are plenty of options on the market, and they can be found in a variety of sizes, shapes, and designs. If you have a favorite squirrel feeder to add to this list, let me know in the comment section below.